AN OPEN LETTER TO PAETENIANS
THE PAETE CULTURAL CENTER.
comment and discussion at bottom of page. Some e mail responses, click this link.
Mahal Kong Kababayan:
Maligayang Bati sa Inyo! Perhaps I need not introduce myself anymore. You know me well as one who has long been involved in many projects of utmost importance and significance that were aimed at promoting, enhancing and preserving our rich cultural heritage. I likewise need not enumerate them. My book, PAETE: BAYANG MASINING, BAYANG PINOY, attests to them. What I need to mention perhaps is what my involvement did to me. It made my life more meaningful and significant. I had immense joy in doing my share that contributed to their success. I was unfazed with the sacrifices and difficulties I had encountered for I knew that what I was doing is for the honor and glory of our beloved PAETE.
I am now a retired Senior Citizen but my passion to do more for her seems unabated. I still have three long-cherished dreams for her to fulfill dreams that are shared by several of our kababayans who like me have also the same concerns for Paete. We have tarried long enough that I feel time is running short for us. On my own I have taken the initial bold step to take the lead in making at least one of the dreams a reality. We take so much pride in telling our friends that our town is BAYAN NG MGA DIOS-DIOSAN - the cradle of great and creative artists. But we are silenced and often times embarrassed whenever they ask us where they can find samples of their work, for we do not have a place to show them. I thus take upon myself the task of putting up a center for the arts in Paete THE PAETE CULTURAL CENTER.
I consulted my friends who are experts on the matter and based on their suggestions I made a thorough study on how to fulfill the dream. I would like to share with you the highlights of this study in the annexes. I have shown and discussed it with people who could best help me in this project. Manny Baldemor enjoined me to pursue the project to its completion with his assurance of full support. Amang Vicente Afurong volunteered to do the final draft of the building plans and to supervise its eventual construction. Amama Ambo Africano would persuade the members of Banda 69 to render free labor to lessen its cost. Raul Roque would harness the assistance of PAETECH and Mayor Emmanuel B. Cadayona the resources of the municipal government. The project seems enormous and ambitious, but nothing can prevent us from accomplishing it as long as we are all determined to work together and give our share.
Several of my friends, who are with me in this project, have warned me on the possible adverse comments that would be hurled on me and the project, but I am more encouraged to go on with it with Mike Paelmos compliment: Maraming Salamat sa iyo, Nel, sa pagkukusa mong pasimulan ang mahalagang proyektong ito para sa Paete. Hindi biro-biro ito, ngunit sino pa ang kikilos at gagawa nito kundi tayong mga anak niya na higit na pinagpala kaysa iba.
I invite you then to join me in this undertaking. MAKE MY DREAM YOUR DREAM- OUR DREAM. Together let us build the CENTER a tribute to our artists, a memorial to our forebears, a showplace of our rich cultural heritage, a training venue for our promising artists and a thanksgiving offering to our LORD for His greater honor and glory. Let the Center be our LEGACY to PAETE.
MABUHAY ANG PAETE ! MARAMING SALAMAT PO !
CORNELIO T. AFRICANO
II. Location : Sitio BUKOL, QUINALE, PAETE, LAGUNA
(opposite the Catholic Cemetery)
III. Lot Area : 396 square meters with assessed market value of
P 800,000 (my exclusive property which I pledge to donate
to the project)
IV. Buildings : A two storey concrete edifice with floor dimension of
16 x 12 meters; 192 square meters per floor or total floor
area of 384 square meters and an adjacent quarters for
guest artist-in-residence with a floor dimension of 6 x 4 meters or a floor area of 24 square meters
V. Main Features:
A. Ground Floor:
1. Reception Hall - 36 square meters
2. Museum Hall - 66
3. Library/Audio-Visual Room 30
4. Office Room - 27
5. Others - 33
Total - 192 square meters
B. Second Floor:
1. Multi-Purpose Hall - 96 Square meters
2. Training Room # 1 - 25
3. Training Room # 2 - 20
4. Others - 51
Total - 192 square meters
VI Estimated Cost:
A. Building :
Ground Floor - P 2,000,000
Second Floor - 1,500,000
Total - P 3,.500,000
B. Equipment/Facilities - 1, 500,000
C. Adjacent Quarters - 240,000
Total P 5, 240,000 ($ 97,000 )
D. Lot ( my donation ) - P 800,000
Grand Total - P 6,040,000
VII Sources of Funds:
A. Paetenian Donations - P 2, 620,000
B. Institutions/Others - 2, 620,000
Grand Total P 5,240,000
A. Policy Making Body: The Board of Directors of Paete Cultural Center Foundation, Incorporated.
Cornelio T. Africano Manuel D. Baldemor
Raul C. Roque Wilfredo S. Baldemor
Emmanuel B. Cadayona Frank G. Rivera, Jr
Vicente C. Afurong Flora-Lou C. Cadawas,
Pablo B. Africano Michael N. Paelmo
Teresita Obial-Aquino Maria Rita G. Afurong
B. Executive Body: Officers of the Foundation - to be elected from the members of the
Board of Directors (President, First Vice-President for Finance, 2nd Vice-President
for Maintenance & Security, Secretary, Treasurer and Auditor)
l. Lot - the 396 square meter lot where I propose to build the center is my
own property which I pledge to donate to the project. My Auntie,
Nene Africano-Quiratman is also willing to donate an additional 50-
100 square meters from her adjacent lot depending on the necessity. The expanded lot (450 sqms.) would then have a total assessed market value of P 900,000.
2. Building Plans & Construction -
Amang Vicente Afurong, designer and builder of the Exotic Restaurant, has volunteered to prepare the plans for the buildings and supervise their construction. He will also landscape the site to camouflage the unbecoming surroundings with ornamental trees and plants.
3. Sources of Funds -
a). Paetenian Donations any amount of financial support would be most welcomed from any individual person or organization. I would however personally solicit financial support from at least 50 Paetenians who I know would be willing and able to give their generous support to the project. They would be my relatives, friends and former colleagues in various organizations I have been involved with. A minimum donation of $ 1,000 would insure the inclusion of the donors name in the inaugural marker of the edifice and his permanent membership in the would-be Paete Cultural Center Foundation, Inc. The donation could be given under the name of an individual person or family as in Mr. and Mrs. Alfredo M. Cagayat & Family; shared by the siblings as in Serafio Cagayat and Family or by members of an organization as in The Original Knights. The donor can also indicate his preference for the allotment of his donation to any hall or room that will be provided in the edifice. Each hall or room will then have its own roster of donors where their names, especially those whose donation fall short of $1,000, will be indicated.
I am confident that the amount of at least P2,740,000 ($ 50,000) which will cover the cost of the ground floor and the adjacent quarter, would come from the Paetenian Community. We are a
benevolent people who can give generous support for a worthy cause. We have shown this in the way we supported the restoration project of our church and the building of the new convent. Initially all I would need to know is your commitment to help by way of a pledge. You can manifest this in the Paete website or to email@example.com. The mechanics of remittance for your pledges will be made known to you also through these e-mail addresses, as soon as the PAETE CULTURAL CENTER FOUNDATION is incorporated and registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission. For transparency, control and legality, all remittances will be coursed to the dollar account of the Foundation and monitored regularly in the website.
b.) Other Donations I would also personally solicit from various friends and/ or institutions here and abroad for the other half of the funds required for the project. This I would do only when I feel there is not much more to expect from our end.
4. Access Road - the creek bordering the southern perimeter of the lot will be covered by a concrete water channel, flattened and cemented to serve as the access road to the center from the national road. This will be undertaken by the Provincial District of the Department of Public Works and Highways through the request and arrangement made by our Mayor, Emmanuel B. Cadayona, and finished before the start of
5. Construction - This would start as soon as the pledges accumulate to $ 25, 000 or
P 1,370,000 (50% of the building cost) and are remitted according to schedule.
I. Conceptualization, Consultation / Feasibility Study April 2005
II. Project Announcement through Paete Website May
A. Solicitation of Pledges
1. Paetenians - June
2. Others - July
B. Remittance of Pledges August December
C. Fundraising: Group Show of Select
Artists (EDSA SM Megamall ) December
IV. Incorporation of Paete Cultural Center Foundation July
V. Construction of Access Road October - December
VI Construction of the Center January June
VI. Solicitation / Gathering of Artworks & Memorabilia
for permanent display in the Center January - June
VIII. Inauguration July 22nd
Major Contents of the Center as envisioned by the Project Proponent:
I. Reception Hall:
1. Wood Panel of the Historical Chronology of Paete
2. Woodcarving Mural of the Legend of Paete
3. Old Baptismal Fount of the Church
1. Wooden Bust of Mariano B. Madrinan
2. Wooden Panel Roster of the Pambayang Bayani at mga Magiting na Anak ng Bayan
3. Wooden Panel Roster of the Outstanding Paetenians:
a. TOLP Awardees
b. Balik-Paete Outstanding Living Paetenian Awardees
4. Wooden Panel Roster of Outstanding Paetenian Artists in Chronological Sequence:
a. Sculpture d. Literature g. Architecture
b. Painting e. Dance
c. Music f. Theater & Stage
5. Permanent Exhibit of Obra Maestra by Outstanding Artists
6. Paetenian Memorabilia
7. Other art works of great significance
III Library & Audio-Visual Room:
1. Books and publications about Paete or by Paetenians
2. Original manuscripts in music & literature
3. Audio-Visual Equipment and Accessories
4. Documentary Films about Paete
5. Books, VCD/ Cassette Tape- recordings, magazines, cards etc. made by Paetenians for Sale
III. Office: Paete Cultural Center Foundation, Inc.
IV. Training Room # 1 facilities for creative writing, painting , culinary art, etc.
V. Training Room # 2 facilities for music composition & arrangement, instrument playing
VI. Multi-Purpose Hall facilities for band, dance, stage practices /or rehearsals
- venue for art exhibitions, contests and civic programs
- venue for meetings of civic & cultural groups
- Individual or inter-scholastic competitions in the Arts
- Exhibitions / performances in the Arts
- Hosting of renowned artists as artists-in- residence at the Center
- Showing of Classic Films
II. Operations and Maintenance Support Programs:
- Budgetary Programs (estimated initial annual budget P600,000)
- Entrance fees from Educational tour groups & tourists
- Fundraising exhibits/ programs for the Center
- Solicitation of regular sponsorship ( Government & Private Institutions)
( $ 1,000 Donors)
1. Dr. Danilo T. Dalan - Dr. Bernardo P. Dalan & Family
2. Dr. Jaime D. Tuazon - Victor C. Tuazon and Family
3. Dr. Teresita T. Obial-Aquino - Luis C. Obial and Family
4. Efigenia C. Tuazon - Buenaventura Tuason and Family
5. Corazon U. Africano-Man - Pablo B. Africano and Family
6. Irene E. Africano-Santangelo - Tomas C. Africano and Family
7. Alex Africano Eremeyeff - Vicente C. Africano and Family
8. Michael N. Paelmo _ Alipio A. Paelmo and Family
9. Manuel D. Baldemor - Perfecto S. Baldemor and Family
10. Wilfredo S. Baldemor - Sotero Baldemor and Family
11. Eliodoro C. Cadawas, Jr. - Elidoro Cadawas, Sr. & Family
12. Raul C. Roque - Amador Roque & Family
13. Emmanuel B. Cadayona - Ramon N. Cadayona & Family
14. Guillermo Q. Baisas - Mariano B. Madrinan, Milian
Baisas & Family
15. Lily Quesada - Eusebio Quesada & Family
I pledge the lot as my donation to honor the Africano Clan: Matias Africano, our patriarch, Guillermo, my great grand father, Ismael , my grand father, Higino , my father and especially my brother, Marcelo T. Africano
Artists who have pledged to donate their works for permanent display:
1. Manuel D. Baldemor - painting and sculpture
2. Fred and Wally Baldemor - painting and sculpture
3. JR (Pingkit) Cadawas - sculpture
4. Felix (Piling) Valdellon - Wooden Bust of Mariano Madrinan
5. Pablo B. Africano - Woodcarving Mural of Paetes legend
6. Cornelio T. Africano - my collection of the works of Faustino Caday, Luis Obial, Martin Fadul, Pablo,
Marcial and Marcelo T. Africano and my compilation of original manuscripts of literary
and musical compositions.
BUILDING PERSPECTIVE AND FLOOR PLANS
N.B. The location plan will be posted in the next e-mail.